Friday, June 3, 2016

Two new questions

Many students asked me personal questions.  If you don't find these sorts of questions interesting, just drop me a message below.

What is your favorite dessert?

Probably brownies with dark chocolate chips.  It really depends on my mood.

What is your favorite place that you have visited?

This is a hard question to answer.  I teach and live in Mesa, so I travel during the summer when it is over 110 degrees much of the time.  Any place that is cooler than here (almost anyplace) is a welcome break.  I think, though, I will say Prince Edward Island.  It has an interesting history, the people were nice, and the kids enjoyed it.  We saw many of the sites relating to Anne of Green Gables, and it is interesting to see how people preserve the memory of Lucy Maude Montgomery.  The air there smells great, it is cool, the prices are pretty reasonable in the summer (it is a winter vacation spot for many Canadians), and the temperatures were really nice for summer.  Also, I was waiting to use a computer in the hotel lobby one evening and there was a group of high school students having a heated discussion of the Iiad.  Apparently their public schools include a pretty strong classical element.

Another student asked a similar question, "What is your favorite place to visit?"  The question is worded a little differently, and is easier for me to answer.  My favorite place to visit is Los Alamos, where I grew up.  Some people don't have an enormous affection for the place they are from, but I do.  I dream of Los Alamos at night, and daydream of it in the day.  I love the piñon trees, the mountains and mesas, the cool evening breeze, the arroyos, the views, and the people.   It is a bit disheartening to see how different it looks after the Sierra Grande fire, but I still love it there.  My father lives there, and he is the nicest man I know.  I have a lot of memories there, some of them quite poignant, but I do enjoy returning for a visit.  As a resident of Mesa, I appreciate that it is considerably cooler there.  I can remember it getting to 90 degrees there, but that is rare. 

No comments:

Post a Comment